Tuesday 12 June 2012

Little dress

Hi There,

Do you remember this dress? It is definitely a dress that I will be making more often. Very quick and very useful.

Between us, don't you think dresses are the best invention ever? Planning, or lack of it, seems to be an issue and preparing what I will wear the next morning is not something that works for me when I am trying to find my bed in the dark late at night.

When the weather is warm enough, slipping on a dress in the morning saves a lot of time and, providing you have the right shoes and cardigan to go with it, you are all set in seconds! Bonus is that you don't look a frump, which is what happens to me when the weather is not warm enough for light clothing. Don't you admire women who look the part all of the time, make-up where it should be, nicely scented and organised at eight (8!) o'clock in the morning? Power!

In the meantime though, I thought it might be a nice idea to make a mini-version of the dress for our little dress and skirt loving monster. This wonderful fabric was beckoning me to turn it into something, anything, just to get out of the pile where it had been sitting for a whole three weeks!


Well, what can you do? I love the print on this fabric, retro but at the same time 'toadally now'. The fabric is made from organic cotton which is a very good thing too. Perfect for a simple play-n-school dress, don't you agree?

One thing I did not like about the fabric is that it only stretches in one direction, width ways. This is something you should take into account when turning it into something else because it does influence the fall of the garment.

I'll show you what I mean by it. This is what it turned out like: a very wide and short dress.


 I used the pattern before, so I know it is not that. It might be a little on the wide side but not this wide. So I undid the sides and the top and bottom parts again, cut off about 2,5 cm on each side (which makes about 10 cm in all!) and added a 5 cm strip of fabric between the top and bottom parts. I added little bits of the royal blue fabric on the front (just thin strips of jersey folded lengthways) to emphasize the middle strip.

This description might be hard to follow but you'll be able to see what I mean when you look here.


Little detail on the inside (for my personal pleasure entirely because who would see such a thing?):


Oh, and on an unrelated subject, I can't stop grinning when I look at my wrist. Do you like it? Far from rainbows still (look here for other bracelets), but I'm slowly getting to grips with the technique. Such a simple  thing can make me so happy.



Anyway, love you and leave you for now,
XOXO


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up immediately.It takes a while, but it will!